Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What are your Thoughts on Tattoos?

I'm curious to see what people think about tattoos.
Do you love them?  Hate them?  Are you indifferent? 

Personally, I don't like them at all.  I would never get one because 1. I hate needles absolutely hate them.  and 2. I think they look tacky.  Why would someone want to cover their body with pictures (albeit some are actually cool or pretty) and ink?  Why would you go through something like that? 

The prophet of our church, Gordon B Hinckley, said in 2001,

"I recently spoke to your mothers and your fathers. Among other things, I talked with them about tattoos. What creation is more magnificent than the human body? What a wondrous thing it is as the crowning work of the Almighty. Paul, in writing to the Corinthians, said: “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
“If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are” (1 Cor. 3:16–17).
Did you ever think that your body is holy? You are a child of God. Your body is His creation. Would you disfigure that creation with portrayals of people, animals, and words painted into your skin?
I promise you that the time will come, if you have tattoos, that you will regret your actions. They cannot be washed off. They are permanent. Only by an expensive and painful process can they be removed. If you are tattooed, then probably for the remainder of your life you will carry it with you. I believe the time will come when it will be an embarrassment to you. Avoid it. We, as your Brethren who love you, plead with you not to become so disrespectful of the body which the Lord has given you."

I feel that if the prophet has said to Avoid it and to not be disrespectful to my body, I definitely wouldn't get one.

With that being said...How do you feel about getting eyeliner tattooed on?  It's like make-up right?  It will save you and extra few seconds when putting on make-up.  But should you do it?  What are your thoughts?

You can read the whole talk from President Hinckley here.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Kim, this is funny that you post this because me and Jeremy just had this conversation the other day epically about the make-up tattooing. No, I dont like tattoos it seems like a waste of money and very tacky. Now, some the art work is really cool I must admit but keep the art work on paper and not permanent on the skin.
About make-up tattoos. I have notice this is becoming more popular. I personally will never have it done. I feel that okay it is just make-up but it is still made to cover up who we are and how the Lord created us. I just feel that it is still a tattoo, so personally I would not do it... I might not be perfect image but this is how the Lord created me and I am fine with that. I prefer to spend my time taking care of the body that I have.

Amber Stevenson said...

My mom had the eyeliner stuff done...and honestly it isn't even worth it. Hers faded to being completely gone in about 2 years...about 6 months in it was so light that she put regular eyeliner on top of it most days. Plus I thought it was weird to see her with no makeup, just woken up, but eyeliner!!

Maren said...

Amber you are funny!!!! :-)