Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Home at Last

Well....Let's see. My dietitian came in at four o'clock yesterday and was going over things with me. I was supposed to order my food at 4:30, she didn't leave until almost 5 and then freaked out when she asked me if I had ordered my food yet and I told her no. Well hello, if you are sitting there talking my ear off, how do you want me to order my food? So I got chicken, corn, salad, mashed potatoes, and apples. My meal arrived at 5:30 or so and they were out of my insulin so I had wait. I didn't get my insulin until around 6. Are you kidding me? Come on Now. My food was cold and so mom went and put it in the micro. It was nasty. The chicken was still pretty red close to the bone so I didn't eat that part. The dressing for the salad was disgusting. The corn had weird seasoning in it. The potatoes were weird. The apples were good though.

At 6:45 they took me down to labor and delivery to check on the baby (finally...they hadn't checked the baby all day.) The nurse said that I was having contractions. I didn't feel anything at all, but she called my doctor and gave me a shot of something. I went back to the room and read more of the book. I couldn't sleep. I was up every hour it seemed. Every time the door opened (just the nurse checking on me) I would wake up and it would take me forever to go back to sleep. UGH. Poor Adam, all they had in my room were two rocking chairs. Matt and Kari brought him up an air mattress, sheets, blanket, and pillow for him to sleep on. He said he didn't sleep very good either. I don't blame him.

They came and got me at like 5:30 or so this morning to check on the baby again. The contractions weren't showing up, so they were gone. I went back to the room and got back in bed and Adam laid on his lil bed for a little while and then he had to leave to go home and get ready for work. I was then there all alone and it was only 7 o'clock in the morning. I called and ordered my breakfast (it takes a while to get to you so you have to order it early). I got an omelet with cheese, onions, and green peppers, a bowl of oatmeal and a piece of toast. It arrived at 7:30 and I called and told the nurses station that I needed to check my sugar and take my insulin. They finally showed up at 8:20 to give it to me. The oatmeal was disgusting. No taste, no flavor, barely warm. They didn't send up butter for my toast so I got to eat that dry. The omelet was okay but they were sure strong onions.

My OB/GYN came in and checked on me and said as far as he was concerened I could go home but it was up to the endocrinologist. He told me he would see me in the morning at my normal appointment or if I hadn't been released yet, he would be back in the morning to check on me. Then the dietitian came back in and went over a few more things with me. She left and my endocrin came in and said he wanted to see me in his office in two weeks and that I could go home. They released me about an hour to hour and a half later...

We dropped off my scrpts at the pharmacy and I went back two hours later to get them. They had done nothing with them yet becasue our insurance started on Saturday and they hadn't switched it over. Lucky me. I sat there for 30 minutes waiting for them to call the insurance and verify, yadda yadda yadda. The lady then told me the insurance wouldn't cover anything. I started to cry. I couldn't believe it. I'm pregnat with gestational diabetes and your not going to help me pay for it? Are you crazy. Well the pharmacist came over and my hormones got to me and I started to tear up. He told me it was okay and they explained that the insurance would cover my insulin and the needles, just not the glucometer and test strips for it. I felt better about that and dad has the one at home I need anyways. I just needed more test strips for it. The pharmacist went and got me a box that had been opened but the seal hadn't been broken yet and told me to just take them. I said no let me pay you for them and he said don't worry about it. Sweet. The needles for the insulin was free so all I had to pay was a deductible for each thing of insulin (2 different bottles I have to take).

Well that's that in a nut shell. I'm going to take a nap. I'm beat.